Experiences with Mail servers

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Sun Dec 5 15:21:53 UTC 2004

> I have a hard time categorizing 25 users as an Enterprise
> environment.

I agree, but I wanted to emphasize I was not looking for a small server for
a few easy going users, it is mission critical, we have users in Moscow,
London, Seattle, and they traqvel the world requiring access to shared
resouces, transfer large data files including print resolution images, and
generally load a server much more than a few hotmail-like users.

>There is no reason why the average colocated server (dual Xeon exceeds my
> definition of such) shouldn't be able to handle that load.

We have our own datacenter.

>At first
> glance, it sounds like you might be running into the performance
> limitations of mbox.

I believe that is the problem.

> What kind of testing have you done?  What size are you "large mail
> folders"?
One user has 4GB of data, each folder can be 30-100 MB.

 Have you tried maildir instead?
That has been suggested.

> We've started looking at Open-Xchange
> (http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/) for groupware
> solutions.  The demo is very impressive, and the price can't be beat.

How difficult is the migration? I can't ask them to start all over again.

Thanks for your quick response

Chris