High UID user can not login

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Dec 10 15:32:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 09:06:25AM -0500, Stamper, Steve wrote:
> I have added a new user which requires a specific UID.
>   useradd -c "Example Agent Account" -g eaa -d /eaa -u 6000 examp03
>
> Trying to login using Putty I enter the ID and password then get:
>   PuTTY Fatal Error - Server sent disconnect message: "Command terminated on
> signal 25."
>
> Using usermod I knock the UID down to a low order number and I can log in
> correctly.
>   usermod -u 511 examp03

Odd...This is from RHEL3:

[root at p6000 ewilts]#  useradd -c "Example Agent Account" -d /var/tmp -u 6000 examp03
[root at p6000 ewilts]# passwd examp03
Changing password for user examp03.
New password:
BAD PASSWORD: it's WAY too short
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root at p6000 ewilts]# ssh examp03 at localhost
examp03 at localhost's password:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  creating new authority file /var/tmp/.Xauthority
[examp03 at p6000 tmp]$

> This tells me there is probably a MAXIMUM UID so I looked in /etc/login.defs
> and found:
>   UID_MAX         60000
> which is well above my 6000 number.

I believe that this is only used when automatically picking a uid for
creating new accounts.

> Any ideas where I can look next???

On the server, look in /var/log/secure and /var/log/messages and see
what it tells you.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA