RedHat security

O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield) dooneill at deloitte.com
Wed Dec 15 20:53:52 UTC 2004

Larry,

Why would you use iptables for internal servers? Iptables is a pain to
learn and maintain. You are going to have to setup specific rules for
DNS, HTTP, NTP, RHN and so on.. Use tcp_wrappers, the host.allow/deny
are simpler context to learn.

If you ignore the above advice, the first place to start is netstat -a.
This will show the active connection state of the server. You'll need to
look for services that are in the 'WAIT' state. This usually indicates
that the service is having trouble communicating.

These lines below will dump tcp connections into your /var/log/messages
file for review..

iptables -I INPUT -p TCP -j LOG
iptables -I OUTPUT -p TCP -j LOG