changing ownership

Fred Magee fred.magee at atk.com
Mon Dec 20 16:24:28 UTC 2004

Good question, Ed.

I've used quotas in many past incarnations as System Administrator but
always in whatever we used for "home" directories.  If I changed the
ownership of my home directory I would expect the new owner to be
charged with the space used.  The only time I've run into this situation
legitimately is when user x left and all of his files were transferred
to user y.  I would then increase user y's quota to include the
inherited files until they could be sanitized.  I have had less than
"ept" users change ownership of their home directories accidentally but
it hasn't caused a quota issue that I recall.

Fred Magee
ATK Mission Research
(505)768-7783
fred.magee at atk.com