NTPD

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Sat Dec 25 18:41:45 UTC 2004

I recommend to use NTPD on all your RedHat servers so the servers will
be able to sync time with each other. This will eliminate the common
point of failure which is possible in the configuration with ntpdate
when the timesource_server used for ntpdate will have wrong time. In the
situation when all sever prowide synchronization to each other wrong
time on any one of them will bw corrected by time syncronization from
other servers.
Just say in the NTPD configuration on RedHat and Solaris servers that
those servers are peers to each other using 'peer' directive. There is
no need to be connected to internet to use NTP. However in this case you
  will use not the exact time fron Internet time servers, but some mean
time of majority of your NTP servers.
In the windows XP configuration list them all as NTP servers so the XP
clients will not get out of sync if any (but not all) of your NTP
servers fail.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com