RFC - Fedora on old hardware

mark whitroth at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 17:18:56 UTC 2004

Ok, I'm having trouble with my home network firewall box, and it may
need a reinstall (hard drive problems).

This is a 166MHz Pentium-S. Don't even *think* of telling me to go out
and buy new hardware.... It's got under 100M RAM, and I'm not sure I
have space to put more DIMMs in.

It's a firewall/router, and *nothing* else. I don't install X on such a box.

So, I'd like some comments: should I go to Fedora 2 or 3? Is it the case
that with 2, it started using kernel 2.6? If so, do I have to worry
about speed, or memory size?

	mark
--
"I've heard it said that we only use 10% of our minds. Imagine
what we could accomplish if we could use the other 60%"