Backspace key in terminals

steve_dum at mentorg.com steve_dum at mentorg.com
Thu Dec 2 23:16:36 UTC 2004

In message <E936DB2FBF741340845C3DFCFAD36425479D at constellation.doubledimension.
com> you write:
>I know I've ask this question before but I can't find the replies,
>sorry!
>
>When I'm in an xterm, my backspace key does not work.  Only in xterm
>thought.  What do I need to do to fix it?

two things that affect this that haven't been mentioned so far:
1. Some of the current shell's are trying to be nice and recognize both
   delete  and backspace as the backspace character.
2. The default setting for an XTERM in recent releases is to set the
   resource
   *VT100*backarrowKey: false
   in the XTerm (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm) defaults file.
   You can override with with a line iin your .Xdefaults file like
   xterm*VT100*backarrowKey: true

   With the backarrowKey set to false, pressing the backspace key causes
   the xterm to map it to delete.  Setting it to true maps it to backspace.

steve