Experiences with Mail servers

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Mon Dec 6 13:34:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 09:21, Chris Mason wrote:
> I'm looking for feedback on experiences of implementing an enterprise mail
> server with IMAP and webmail, preferably groupware, on our Dual Xeon Fedora
> server. We currently have sendmail, uw-imap, squirrelmail, in standard
> Redhat configuration, and we are having huge load problems as the present
> setup is not capable of supporting the needs of our users. Large mail
> folders bring the server to it's knees. We only have 25 users but they
> travel and use the mail system as a filing system, routinely saving 10MB
> emails and never cleaning up old mail.

There was a very helpful url posted on one of the redhat lists a couple
of days ago:
<http://people.redhat.com/rkeech/maildir-migration.txt>
It seems that RHEL4 (I think fedora already) are moving to dovecot as
their IMAP server, so that may be a direction you want to go. As someone
else said, mbox is probably your problem. This page also has info about
why mbox is bad with large mail folders and how to convert to maildir.
I've only been working with dovecot a couple of weeks, but it's ok so
far. Courier IMAP has also worked well for me in the past (with
maildirs) but I had some problems building on my x86_64 system and
dovecot ended up being my path of least resistence. Jason (I think)
pointed out to me that you can build rpm's from the courier imap tarball
pretty easily (see the courier faq) and that was pretty cool.

Probably best to stay with SquirrelMail and I don't know much about the
other groupware stuff.

Lloyd