System Reboot

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 8 00:55:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:41:42PM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> A former employer used to refer to their monthly Exchange server
> reboots as "therapeutic".

Ya know, as a VMS cluster system manager, I'll have to fess up about my
last cluster reboot.  May 30, 1999.  It sucked to have to reboot it then
(I had screwed it up myself during a physical move of systems from one
data center to another).  I plan on moving all the data from one set of
disk controllers to another set (fiber attached this time) without
rebooting the cluster.  Some systems will be rebooted, but the cluster
won't and the users will continue working through the whole thing.  I
did an operating system upgrade last weekend while the users will
working - the worst they had to do was sign off and back on again and
continue going.  Batch jobs, printing, web access, etc., just kept right
on running without the users having to do anything special at all.

I heard of a record of a VMScluster uptime of about 20 years - I can't
beat that, but I'm working on it :-)

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA