rcp and rlogin

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Dec 9 01:47:59 UTC 2004

On December 8, 2004 12:29 pm, Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> Yes.
>
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:13:25 -0800 Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca> writes:
> > On December 7, 2004 02:07 pm, Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> > > I am trying to set it up so that I can do rcp or rlogin between 2
> > > computers. I know that this is less secure than other methods, but
> > these 2 computers are in a secure area.
> > > When trying to do either rcp or rlogin, I get the following error
> > > message:
> > >
> > > hostname: No route to host
> >

> > can you ping/ssh by hostname (not ip address)?

do you have a firewall or tcpwrappers running on either?

The error sounds more like a acl/router issue. Since you said it was a secure
area, i presume there are no routers involved, just a direct (maybe switched)
link.

I just tried three ssh connections to work to machines my ip should not be
able to connect to.
I tried one that would be filtered by tcpwrappers, I received:
-I tried one that would be blocked by cisco router I get:
ssh: connect to host <hostname> port 22: No route to host
-and one that would be an iptables 'drop':
ssh: connect to host <hostname> port 22: Connection timed out

I don't know much about rservices, never used them, but i would start by
seeing if you can  rlogin to localhost at the server that is rejecting the
connection.

hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce