SMTP Server crossing mailboxes

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Dec 10 00:12:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Robert Canary wrote:

> Hmmm,  I know how it is happening, but I'm not for
> sure how to stop it.
>
> I have about six different domains hosted on the
> mail server.  However, this only invloves two domains.
>
> domainA.com and Bdomain.com
>
> there is a virtual user set as user1 at domainA.com
> and a virtual user set as USER2 at Bdomain.com
>
> However, one can mix the usernames and the mail
> gose int the other mailbox.
>
> Example:
> user1 at domainA.com <-- correct.  If I send an email
> to user1 at Bdomain.com then it gets put into user1's
> mailbox at user1 at domainA.com.  The TO: header are
> intact and read "user1 at Bdomain.com"
>
> How do I control this???

You could set up aliases, so that user1 at domaina.com points at
realuser1 at server, and that user2 at bdomain.com points at realuser2 at server.

However, if you're using real usernames, the system is going to behave as
you described.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit