Fitting RH on one CD?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Dec 10 01:25:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:35:37PM -0700, Patrick Campbell wrote:
> When I install RedHat according to company procedures, I get asked to insert
> DISC2 and then it installs 3 packages, Perl-CGI, lynx and pine.  Can I hack
> open the ISO, copy the RPMs into the RPMS dir of disc 1, recreate the ISO
> and burn a new CD and it won't prompt me for the 2nd CD?  Or does RedHat
> know which RPMs are on disc1, disc2, disc3, etc. This is part of my attempt
> to get a fully automated install going.

It can be done and if you search the archives on how to build a DVD ISO
I expect you'll get yourself headed in the right direction.

If you have a bunch of these to do, I'd suggest setting up a kickstart
server and doing the installs over the network.  Sure beats swapping
CDs.  I even did my home FC3 install over the network using my RHEL
system to hold the ISOs.  It was surprisingly fast.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org