Can not use eth0 on new Dell 4700

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Dec 10 03:20:02 UTC 2004

On December 9, 2004 09:35 am, Greg Frinchaboy wrote:
> Loaded Red Hat 7.3 on a new Dell 4700. It could not find the onboard
> NIC. Downloaded and compiled new Intel e100 driver. Found eth0.
> ethtools says it is up at 100 Mb/s half duplex. Can't ping! The box was
> shipped from Dell with XP installed. Tested the ethernet port using XP
> and it worked. With linux, when the RJ45 cable is plugged in, the cable
> connect light is lite. The activity light is not. When I ping the
> sub-net, the activity light blinks. So, it acts like I am trying to
> send, but I am not receiving. I can plug a Dell 4600 into the same port
> and all is well. Both the 4600 and the 4700 use Intel's 82562 chip. The
> 4600 is an ET rev, the other is an EZ rev. According to the Intel
> product page, the only difference is the foot print of the chip: SOIC
> vs. BGA. Tcpdump shows no activity. It acts like I need some other
> driver to enable the motherboard's interface to eth0. I have plugged a
> PCI nic card in and can use it as eth1. However, I need the two PCI
> slots for other - not installed yet - hardware!
>
> kernel is 2.4.20
> also tried 2.4.28
>
>   Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>   Thanks,
>   Greg

Hi Greg,
It sounds like the nic is working, just not making it out of the box.

what does "ifconfig -a" show for eth0?
what does "route -n" show?
can other machines ping that box? (i would expect this to fail if the nic
cannot answer arp requests)

(is the cat5 cable good? I have seen damaged cables that displayed a link
lite, but could not pass data)
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce