Unable to lock screen EWS 3.0

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Dec 10 03:52:21 UTC 2004

Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> On December 8, 2004 04:08 pm, jackie_wright at agilent.com wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am unable to lock my screen using RH Enterprise 3.0 on a Dell Precision
>>360 workstation.  This presents a major security problem. Has anyone had
>>the same problem and if so what was the resolution?
>>
>>Thanks and Best Regards,
>>Jackie Wright
>>Agilent Technologies - WSD R&D IT Engineer
>>Telnet:  435-6653 or (408) 435-6653
>>Cell:  (510) 825-7638
>>Fax: (408) 435-4803
>

> Are you running VMware? I had that problem using VMware on RH 8 & 9. I ended
> up removing VMware (also because the vmware modules are bound to specific
> kernels, so security patches cannot be applied).

That last part is a bit of FUD.  I've been running VMware here for the
past 3 years.  While it is true that "as released" VMware's modules are
built/bound to a given kernel one simply has to run vmware-config.pl and
the modules will be rebuilt to conform to the current running kernel.  I
only vaguely remember one instance in the VMWare 2.X days that the
rebuild process didn't work.

Oh, FWIW, I just locked and unlocked my screen on RHELv3 with VMware
running....no problem at all.

Regards,
Ed

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".