SATA Raid 5 recommendation?

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Wed Dec 15 20:17:38 UTC 2004

Paul Crossman <pcrossma at orange.us> wrote:
> WOW, that's a lot of TV!!!  4x200GB @ RAID5 = 600GB.
>
> I've been talking with a local system integrator about doing SATA
> Raid 5 with Linux (Red Hat Enterprise to be specific), and they are
> not recommending the promise controllers for Linux.
>
> They are recommending the 3ware 4 or 8 drive controller for my
> specific needs.

I'll second this.  I've used Promise controllers in the past and have
never had much success with them.  We have a new 3ware 8 drive
controller and am about to put it into production (for users to backup
their office machines to).  We'll see how well that works.

--

Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes at tamu.edu                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes