up2date temp folder

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Thu Dec 16 22:36:37 UTC 2004

jim martin wrote:
> Hi.. I have a Red Hat Linux Enterprise installed and
> configured to auto update using up2date function
>
> I want to download the update patch into a folder
> first and auto install but still keep the update
> patches in that folder, is that possible? I used the
> following command but it prompt me error. Why?
>
> Beside Where can I configured the frequency or timing
> to auto update using linux command ?
>
> [root at Liunx up2date]# up2date --tmpdir=/home/up2date
>
> No interactive mode available
> Please specify either -l, -u, --nox, or package
> names as command line arguments.
> usage: up2date [OPTIONS] [<packages>]

Try reading /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
It has lot's of options such as:

	storageDir=/var/spool/up2date
	## *(note this is where your RPMS are downloaded to)
	keepAfterInstall[comment]=Keep packages on disk after installation
	keepAfterInstall=1

As far as scheduling, you could just put a crontab to do
	up2date --nox -u
Then let cron do it, that way it will mail you the output too.