ip_conntrack_tftp doesn't seem to work correctly

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Sat Dec 18 16:50:03 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Running RHAS-3 and attempting to run tftp server in a non-nat'd environment.

My iptables look similar to this:

*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT DROP [0:0]

# Pass all on the loopback
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

# Allow already est or rel connex back in
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# TFTP
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 69 -j ACCEPT

# Allow already known connex back in
-A OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

COMMIT

These rules allow me to connect to udp port 69 on the tftp server but
since tftp chooses a random high port to read/write the communication
stops there.

I've tried loading the ip_conntrack_tftp module:

modprobe ip_conntrack_tftp

but this still doesn't allow the transfer of files.

Has anyone seen this? Am I doing something wrong?
Or is the module not designed to work in this manner?
Or is this a bug in the module?

I'd prefer not to allow all udp ports outbound.

TIA,
Harry