useradd problem on RedHat linux

Rajanish Rai rajanishrai at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 07:01:08 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am facing a problem while executing 'useradd'
command to add user on RedHat linux, if there is
already a group with same name as user and '-g' option
is not used to set primary usergroup.

Details to reproduce issue is as -
(1)On RadHat linux system, a usergroup with name
"newuser" already exists.
(2)Tried to add user with name "newuser" using
following command.
useradd newuser
(3)Got following problem -
useradd: group test123 exists - if you want to add
this user to that group, use -g

I was hoping to set "newuser" as primary usergroup
while executing above command.

Pls let me know any possible workaround for the same.

Regards
Rajanish Rai