RHCE exam prep advice

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Dec 22 14:41:06 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:
> On 12/21/2004 07:14 PM, Jared Johnson wrote:
>
>> The ONLY reason Red Hat doesn't want the material "shared" as
>> you stated, (but it would be better to see proof of that), is because
>> they
>> want to make money, money, money. Remember, they charge thousands of
>> dollars
>> for that material.
>

> Red Hat's Training department spent thousands of dollars developing that
> course.  They're not just charging thousands of dollars for the course -
> they're also funding their instructors' salaries, travel expenses,
> computers, etc.
>
>> That means anyone with a few thousand dollars can get the material.
>

> Yup.  Red Hat does the work and you pay them for that work.  People with
> lots of money can buy my work too.  My employer does this.  Interesting
> concept - you should try it some time.
>
>> Doesn't that just sound... wrong?
>

> Nope.  Expecting that you can violate somebody else's copyright and
> using their work for your gain is wrong.
>
>> Simple matter of who has more green bucks in their pocket.
>

> No.  It's a simple matter of copyright law.  If you don't like the law,
> leave the country.  Don't steal somebody else's work.
>
> I'm really done talking to you now.  You're too unethical to continue
> discussing this issue with.

Ed,

I'm not a lawyer, and I assume you are not either (we're tech geeks).
Anyways, why is this of consequence to you?  I have yet to understand
this.

It's a training manual.  How can I go purchase study material for the
course at a book store.  Was someone licensed to share the work (if that
is the case then most courts would throw something like this debate
out....considering he is selling the copy he bought...not making
copies)?  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a book store junky,
and I read some books at the shelf because I may only be needing one
chapter, plus they like it when we buy coffee and sit and read.

Main point....why bother someone else, when you could let Red Hat fight
their own battles?  I'm sure they are perfectly capable and aware.
Plus, do all RHCE's keep their materials out of reach of everyone else?
  Do they keep them under lock and key?  Sharing is allowing another
person to read the material after all, and as it is with other
confidential material.....allowing unauthorized access to this material
in any way would be considered a fault if the agreement is that
strict....negligence.

Not to try to pee in your coffee, but it just seems like you are taking
this too much to heart when you shouldn't be bothered with it as he is
not selling his certification or answers to the exam nor personally
harming you in any way.

Seriously...if there are not enough RHCE's to go around then people will
just start using something they can hire tech departments to support.

Wade