RHCE exam prep advice

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Wed Dec 22 15:25:14 UTC 2004

Jared Johnson wrote:

>All state laws are governed by Federal law. So in essence, it's a federal
>law.

Um...no.  I work for a state law-enforcement agency.  You have state
laws, with state law-enforcement officers (LEO's), state courts, and
state and county jails.  You also have federal laws, with federal
agencies, federal LEO's, federal courts and federal jails.

Now, if you have a federal law on the same subject as a state law, the
federal law trumps the state law.  However, please note that unless the
infraction involves a federal interest, it is often resolved at the
state or local level.  For instance, murder cases are most often tried
in state courts.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, but you're just flat wrong.

Ben