mail delivery on LAN

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 01:13:29 UTC 2004

> What happens when you login to host11 and do this:

  telnet host12 smtp

If I am sitting on host12, the smtp responds and
greets me, and accepts mail, thru telnet. But if I am
sitting on host11 and try to talk on telent to host12,
on SMTP port. It does not respond.

> The default sendmail config does this without
allowing
> connections from remote machines (only listens for
connections from
> 127.0.0.1).

Yes, you are right. Presnetly, it is only listening to
127.0.0.1 and not to outside hosts. The question is
how will it listen to connections from other hosts?

> That only works if each user has a mail account on
the mail server, a
> setup which I recommend. There is no need to setup
an SMTP server on
> multiple machines.

Agreed. But the problem is that presently, all hosts
are listening to their machines only on smtp port. How
to ensure that the SMTP listens to all the hosts.

So, my question still remains, "How to make mail
server listen to all the hosts of my intranet, when I
am using /etc/hosts?
bye
shiraz