support for controller and Serial ATA

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Feb 19 11:16:00 UTC 2004

At 23:40 2/18/2004, you wrote:
>Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
>
>>Another thing I'm considering is to use Serial ATA card and Serial ATA
>>drives instead, because they're faster.
>
>Is this true? I've never seen anything beat Ultra 320 SCSI with 15K drives
>in striped RAID.
>
>IS SATA faster? If so I need to adjust my train of thinking is all.

You need to adjust your frame of reference. 7200rpm consumer-type drives,
regardless of interface, are not going to be faster than the
state-of-the-art in server or workstation-class disks at DOUBLE the
rotation rate.

Speaking of interfaces, I would expect SATA to eventually scale beyond SCSI
but at this point the first version of SATA is slower than U320, I think.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com