A new monitor...How to change XFree resolutions

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sat Feb 21 20:16:00 UTC 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 02:30 pm, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My trusty CRT (NEC 5FGe) is on its last days and its time to upgrade. I've
> gotten a Viewsonic VP171s 17inch LCD display. Problem is that the CRT
> worked up to 1024 X 768 and the new monitor works (best) at 1280 X 1024.
> XF86Config knows about my NEC.  How do I give it the information about the
> Viewsonic so that I can switch to that monitor?  I've forgotton how to do
> this.  I know it is really easy, I've just forgotten.  (BTW, I tried
> Xvidtune, but it won't let me change the resolution.)

In newer RH version (8,9) or Fedora, use "redhat-confix-xfree86" command after
you put the new monitor in.
In older versions ( <= 7.x) I think you can use "Xconfigurator". You may have
to install the RPM first (sometimes it's not included for some reason).

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy