Fate of RedHat

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sun Feb 22 13:57:11 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 12:29 pm, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > I was just wondering if there is a general concensus (sp) of what
> > everyone is planning to do when RedHat 9.0 is no longer supported?
> >
> > Are most going to the Fedora Project or paying to go to the Enterprise
> > Linux?
> >
> > The EL is freely available for download in .iso form on the internet if
> > you "look".  Would I get in trouble for installing it?  I really don't
> > care to pay for support anyway.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Isn't Redhats Enterprise Linux still GPL?  Doesn't that mean they have
> to give away the source?

Redhat does not have to give away the source, they just have to provide them
with the binary, or provide a written offer of the sourse, or online, which
what you get if you buy RHEL and/or subscribes to RHN. But infact Redhat do
better than that by providing the SRPMS in their FTP sites. So yes, if you
want to download the source RPMs from their FTP and build them yourself, I
think you can. It's already been done (I don't remember the website / URL
address but I've seen it). You just won't get support from Redhat.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy