non-login sftp user?

Mike Vanecek rh_list at mm-vanecek.cc
Sun Feb 22 19:39:01 UTC 2004

I can set up a user account which cannot logon by specifying a nologin shell,
but that can use their userid and password to logon with ftp and download
files. I can also keep that user locked into the specified home directory.

Since that user cannot logon, he/she cannot use ssh to logon. However, that
also means that user cannot use sftp rather than ftp for file transfers?

Does anyway exist to setup a user account that can use sftp for downloading
files, but cannot use ssh to login to a shell (as well as keep them locked
into their home directory)?

Thank you.

Mike.