Fate of RedHat

John Nichel jnichel at by-tor.com
Mon Feb 23 23:29:00 UTC 2004

Dave Ihnat wrote:
> I never used any free RedHat distribution; my clients and always paid
> for software and RHN.  As have I.  The problem is that Linux is fighting
> the entrenched monoculture.  With this move, the benefits aren't as
> obvious to potential clients; the risks are still there.  It's harder
> to sell.
>
> And my business IS RedHat's.  If I can't sell clients on the idea of
> changing to Linux, RedHat doesn't sell.  Period.

What benifits have changed?  Is Red Hat any less secure?  Is the TCO of
Red Hat more than Microsoft now?  Are there any less applications
available for Red Hat?  The only difference is the level of support, and
what comes with the different versions.  If you still intend to use Red
Hat for your clients, then the only addition to your job is to break
down the different levels to said client.

> I want them to provide a product.  I want that product to meet MY needs, yes.
> If it doesn't, I don't buy it.  What part of a free market economy don't you
> understand?

They do provide a product.  I understand free market, do you?  You seem
to think that this is some sort of injustice against you.  Free market
is a two way street.  Red Hat has to do what is right for them, not what
is right for you.  If you feel slighted, or if you feel your customers
will be more secure with a not-so-well-know-name, then by all means,
make the switch.  It's been my experience however, that the customer
doesn't always care about what I (or you) think about this, even if
you're a hired consultant.  Customers tend to trust a name.  I really
don't see this hurting your ability to sell the Red Hat products, unless
you don't want to take that extra step and explain to your customers
what they get for their dollar now.

>>As for *fair*, do you honestly think it's fair for you to turn your
>>back ("I'll have to leave") on Red Hat, a company which has given your
>>their product for free for years?
>

> They may have given product free to someone else, but never to me.
> By my choice.
>
> And what's "fair" got to do with it?

You brougt up fair, hinting that the new way Red Hat was handling things
like RPM's for the different versions was unfair.

> Repeat after me:  Business. Relationship.  You sell me what I need, I'll
> buy and market it.

They are still selling the same exact product.  But it's you who doesn't
want to buy it now.  The product hasn't changed, just the pricing structure.

>>Nobody is making you force anything on your clients.  You and your
>>clients just have to make a choice now; Pay a bit for Red Hat's services
>>and software, compile from source for free, or go to another vendor.
>>I don't see anyone forcing you or your clients to do anything.
>

> True.  And I could do that quietly, never letting RedHat know it's making
> long-term customers unhappy, and why.
>
> Instead I choose to give them feedback.  Not whining about "losing
> freebies", but providing business-oriented input.  They can do what they
> want with it, including ignoring it.

This mailing list really isn't the place to let your feelings know to
the decision makers at Red Hat.  I only know of one Red Hat employee who
reads this list (there may be more), and he doesn't make business
decisions.  On this list, is just sounds like 'whining'.

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush