Custom Installation for multiple machines

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Feb 25 09:03:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 25 Feb 2004 09:12, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> Hi, Stuart,
>
> Have you also worked out how to clone a working system?
>
> I have tried kickstart before, but then found quite a few repetitive
> post installation tasks needed such as setting up user accounts, print
> queues,
> applying updates and other non RedHat software.
there is a %post section in your kickstart file that can do most of these
things. It runs as a bash script, chrooted into your new / filesystem, before
your sytem is rebooted.
eg
%post
useradd bob
echo "insecure" | passwd --stdin bob

rpm -Fvh ftp://server/pub/updates/*.rpm

rhnreg_ks --activationkey=....

you could conceivably set up the print queues in a similar way

Stuart Sears RHCE/RHCX