redhat-config-* (was Re: redhat--config-network corrupts my hosts-file)

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Feb 26 20:42:00 UTC 2004

On February 26, 2004 09:39 am, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2004 12:19 pm, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> > Until the GUI tools are bulletproof I would advise to stay away. They are
> > supposed to make configuration easier but all that the really do is
> > create confusion (on the system) and dumb-down the admin.
>
> Hmm.. I may not aggree with the generalization. If the problem was with
> redhat--config-network only, than let's keep it that way, don't over
> generalize.

<snip>

Hi all,
The redhat-config-xxx tools are very good tools if you want to use graphical
tools. HOWEVER, you should NOT try and mix manual configuration with gui
tools. The tools generally create their own 'custom' version of the config
files, which works, but does not mix well with manual configuration.

I would suggest you decide what method you will use for any given service and
stick with it. I always edit the files as it gives me a sense of how it
works, they are generally well comented or self explanitory and give more
granular access. The only exception is I use the Print Tool,
redhat-config-printer because printcap is too brutal for humans:)

I know that the following will make switching to manual edits difficult:
redhat-config-bind (dns)
redhat-config-httpd (apache)
redhat-config-samba

>From this post it looks like that is the case for at least some of the others.
Also, as Marcel discovered, you may lose your previous customizations.

All that said, I remeber when I first started using Linux ( '97) I spent quite
a while trying to configure my first DNS server. I ended up turning to the
gui tool (linuxconfig?) and used it to create the files , then I could review
it to get a grip on how things all fit together. They all have their place,
it is a matter of ones comfort level and personal preference.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce