RE: Possibly Hacked

Title: RE: Possibly Hacked

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-admin redhat com on behalf of Simran Hansrai
Sent: Fri 1/2/2004 5:01 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Possibly Hacked

Okay, now this might make a little more sense.. the error message:

simran hostnames password:
Permission denied, please try again.
simran hostnames password:
Unable to find an authentication method

I tried to deploy an ldap server on this host before leaving and
reverted my changes since I was unable to get ldap up and running at the
time.  I did check my nsswitch.conf file and it shows for passwd, group
and shadow files first and then ldap.  So this should not be the cause
but I might be missing something else.  Hopefully I am on the right
track.. Could this be the issue?

-Simran

Nsswitch isn't the only factor here.  PAM would be doing your authentication.

If you don't have a LDAP server available then disable it for authentication.
There was a bug in RH <= 8 where if you have configured PAM to use LDAP
and the LDAP server goes unavailable that local logins will break also.
A fix was to change a line in /etc/pam.d/system-auth, but if you aren't
using LDAP at all then you should disable it entirely via authconfig.

-Steve