Forgot Root Password

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jul 1 23:27:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:43:31PM -0400, rahul b jain cs student wrote:
> The boot process asks me to run fsck manually because of a error during
> the file system check. To do so it asks me the root password which I forgot.

Boot from your Linux CD #1 into rescue mode.  Change passwd from there.
You may be able to do a straight boot into run level 1 but given your
file system issues I'm not sure.

In the Red Hat doc set (available online on Red Hat's web site), you'll
find instructions on what to do if you forget the root password.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org