update rpms

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Jul 2 13:02:46 UTC 2004

Nabin Limbu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have downloaded the latest rpms of most of the packages that have been installed in
>my server. Now how can I upgrade all the packages instead of repeatedly upgrading
>one by one and checking for dependencies for so many packages? Is there any way?
>
>Nabin Limbu

you could try:

cd /dir/with/rpms

rpm -ivh kernel-2* (if you have downloaded and wish to update kernels)

rpm -Fvh *.rpm (which will only upgrade the packages you already have
installed).

the easiest way by far would have been (originally) to have installed
the new
updates via RHN with
up2date -uf

if you are installing updated versions of pkgs with new dependencies you
may have to find the deps as well.
I tend to keep an install tree on my server under /var/ftp/pub and share
it by nfs.

Stuart