vsftpd problems

Ben Sewell ben_sewell_007 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 13:16:07 UTC 2004

Hi Dan, hi everyone
You need to follow these steps to set this up.

1) Create accounts and also making passwords  on the linux machine for those
who will use FTP clients to access the server. You need to do all of this
using root. This is done by in the console (terminal) typing in this:
useradd user
passwd user

simply type in the desired password and then do it again for confirmation.

2) Using a text editor such as gedit, and open up /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf,
and amend the selected lines below so they match:
anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_enable=YES

All of those are uncommented.

3) Using a text editor, open up /etc/passwd and add a line for each user who
wishes to use FTP:

4) Using a text editor, open up /etc/vsftpd.user_list and add each use that
wishes to use FTP, a line per user. Examples:
user1:x:800:800::/home/user1/bin/bash
user2:x:801:801::/home/user2:/bin/bash
admin:x:802:802::/home/:/bin/bash

5) Restart vsftpd.