Quota help

Eucke Warren euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Fri Jul 2 21:51:20 UTC 2004

Hello all....

I really feel foolish.  I am playing around with a new configuration of RH9
and I cannot seem to get quota's functioning properly.  I simplified the
partitioning from how I have done it in the past.  This is the current
partition layout:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used     Available Use%     Mounted on
/dev/sda2              7637400   2769036   4480396  39%             /
/dev/sda1                101089        9464        86406  10%
/boot
none                       127624             0       127624   0%
/dev/shm

Here is the fstab entry:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
defaults,usrquota,grpquota        1 1
LABEL=/boot         /boot                 ext3    defaults        1 2
none                        /dev/pts             devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                        /proc                 proc    defaults        0
0
none                        /dev/shm            tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda3                 swap                 swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom        iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                   /mnt/floppy        auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

I put the quota.* files in / yet when I run quotaon -av or when I boot the
server I get the following error message:

[root at euckevmrh root]# quotaon -av
quotaon: Cannot find quota file on / [/dev/sda2] to turn quotas on/off.
quotaon: Cannot find quota file on / [/dev/sda2] to turn quotas on/off.

My eye's are getting blurry from chasing an bunch of other things down.  I
have Googled for this but keep hitting dead ends and am missing something
simple...suggestions?  Thanks in advance guys!

-Eucke