any 1 can help me

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Jul 3 10:09:21 UTC 2004

harsh gupta wrote:
> hi
> can u tell me from where i can get the Linux RPM Files
> like
>
> MP3 player Software OR (RPM file)
>
> tell Me how can i play mp3 file's in linux i have install xmms
ah, but xmms in RH has the mp3 functionality removed due to patent
issues. You can get the xmms-mp3 package from http://freshrpms.net if
you need it.

> & allso tell me how can i play video file like .MPG , .Dat .etc

There are a number of good video players for linux.
Arguably the two most popular are
Mplayer
Xine
although there are others, depending on your preferences.

They don't all play all formats - some formats are proprietary and there
aren't any completely functional codecsfor linux as yet.
once again these rpms are available for various versions of RH and Fedora.

to install them, provided you have a decent net connection, apt or yum
might be a good choice

ie d/l and install apt4rpm or yum
then apt-get install mplayer
or yum install mplayer