SAN SOLUTION

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jul 6 16:45:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:41:02AM -0400, Vivek Kumar wrote:
> I am in process of evaluating SAN storage. I have few companies
> negotiating their solutions to me (3PAR, IBM etc). Do you know if there
> is any place where I can get good comparision or information about SANs
> ?? Also if you are using SAN which one do you think is good in terms of
> performation, ease of installation and maintenance and most important
> the cost.

The standard rule applies to SANs as it applies to everything else:
good, fast, cheap.  Pick any 2.

There are a LOT of choices out there and all will have their tradeoffs
in one of the three above.  You need to be clear in what your
requirements are - number of TB you need, what kind of access (high
access database, low access archives, etc), price point you're after,
etc.  There's no single place I've seen that let you pick and choose
your solution.  I've seen solutions from tens of thousands to multiples
of millions.  Although they're both SANs, they're not in the same
class...

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA