EXT3 problems in Enterprise Workstation 3?

Faehl, Chris cfaehl at rightnow.com
Fri Jul 9 23:02:46 UTC 2004

Michael,

We've also seen our share of bad RAID cards, but most of those affected
external disk arrays. I would think (hope) that if this was a RAID
issue, you'd see all sorts of warnings at least via dmesg and hopefully
output to the console (is /var/log/messages on its own partition, or
part of /?) . We've purchased a similar number of 1750s in the same time
period, but haven't seen these issues (the 1650s seemed to have almost
constant problems, though).

I suspect that Marvin's issue is toxic kernel (Marvin: since you're
using a variant of the 2.4.9 kernel, I'm assuming you're running RHEL
2.1), but I'm not sure about yours (yours sounds to be much more serious
than Marvin's issue, since you end up losing the whole filesystem
through subsequent fsck "fixes").

--
Chris Faehl
Hosting Manager, RightNow Technologies