scsi tape device support

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Jul 12 03:17:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:55:58PM +1200, geoff rainey wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have a DL380 with an internal SCSI tape device, redhat 7.3, kernel version is 2.4.21.
> Kernel does not recognize the device correctly, thinks it is DLT. This problem has just become evident
> and the box has not been rebooted for 1 year.

I didn't think that 2.4.21 has been out for a year.  Please do:
uname -a
and see what it says. I'm guessing that it's not 2.4.21.

> Do you think:
>
> a) reboot the server, see what the kernel says about the device.

You haven't told us what kind of tape drive it is so making a prediction
about what will fix an unknown problem is a bit tough.  There are
internal DLT drives.  Has the tape been working but just recognized
incorrectly?  If so, what problem are you really trying to fix?

> d) none of the above..

First let's define the problem, if any, and then work towards a fix.  If
you've been applying kernels regularly but not rebooting, then a reboot
might be in order.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA