Installing RHEL AS3 and using same linux partition on Dell RaidArray

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Jul 12 21:33:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:52:41PM -0500, Bikram Assal wrote:

> Is it possible to upgrade from RHL 7.3 to RHEL AS3 using the
> installation CD instead of going for the fresh install ?

Definitely not supported and not an option on the installer.  I don't recall
seeing any reports that it's even worked anywhere.

> 2) Currently, we have been using DELL Raid Array.
> At boot time, the system mounts the linux partition on the Raid Array.
>

> I wanted to ask whether it is possible to keep the same old partition
> on Raid Array without losing any data on it and mounting that same
> partition after RHEL AS3 is installed on the system. Would I just need
> to add an entry in the /etc/fstab file to mount the linux partition on
> the Raid Array ???

That should work fine as long as you have empty partitions to install
the OS in.  You probably want to migrate the filesystem after your
upgrade from ext2 to ext3 if it isn't ext3 already but you can do that
without losing data.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA