Stop screen saver running

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Wed Jul 14 02:20:46 UTC 2004

> If you're in KDE, right-click the desktop and select "Configure
> Desktop".
No, it's gnome

Change the screensaver to whatever you want or disable it.

If I was in front of the machine, that's why I would do, but I want to do it
remotely.

> On my home system, it's just a black screen.  At work, we always boot
> into run level 3 and never leave them logged on.
As the application is a GUI program, level 3 wouldn't be much use.

> Is it that hard for your assistant to actually log on?  Leaving a
> console session running isn't normally appropriate...

In general, yes, but this machine has only one function, to backup files
woth the tape machine. All she does is change the tapes and click OK, and
report any problems. So leaving it logged in is not a security problem, as
it has no data beyond the application I want her to use anyway. The backup
program has it's own authentication, so the logged in user has no relevance.
My assistance has no knowledge of Linux, so her only function is to click
the OK button after changing the tape.

Chris