problems receiving e-mail to my server redux

Ed McCorduck Ed.McCorduck at Cortland.edu
Wed Jul 14 10:09:51 UTC 2004

Thanks so much for your reply. At the risk of cluttering up the list
(another newbie _faux pas_ that I hope you'll all forgive me for), let
me repeat here what I just replied to Ed Greshko:

I installed BIND on my Linux box and set it up to start at every
boot-up, so I assumed this would take care of my DNS/nameserver setup.
One of the bases for that belief is this passage from Peter Harrison's
book _Linux Home Networking II_: "BIND is an acronym for the 'Berkeley
Internet Name Domain' project which MAINTAINS THE DNS RELATED SOFTWARE
SUITE THAT RUNS UNDER LINUX [emphasis mine]. The most well known program
in BIND is 'named', the daemon THAT RESPONDS TO DNS QUERIES FROM REMOTE
MACHINES [emphasis mine again]" (p. 59). Granted, Harrison's book is
full of other details and configurations I must still perform regarding
the files that named uses, but this snippet certainly makes it all sound
simple enough for a fool like me to think I could do it all on my own.

I'd appreciate your further thoughts on this, and thanks again for your
reply.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
ICQ: http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/pager
AIM: EdMcCorduck