x server fatal font error

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Fri Jul 23 04:45:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 13:46, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> On July 22, 2004 07:40 pm, Austin wrote:
> > Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > >>>>

> <snip>
>

> > >More details needed. What XFree86 packages are installed?
> > >
> > >  $ rpm -qa 'XFree86*'
> > >
> > >Verify all of them:
> > >
> > >  $ rpm -qa 'XFree86*' | xargs rpm -V
> > >
> > >Post your /etc/X11/fs config file, too.
> > >
> > >Then still the fonts.dir and fonts.alias files might be damaged.
> >
> > The fonts.dir and fonts.alias files in their respective directories in
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/*  look undamaged.  I assume the below
> > "unscaled" is an argument" as it is not a file.
>
> > # rpm -qa `Xfree86*` | xargs rpm -V
> > -bash: Xfree86*: command not found
>

> Austin,
> I just read the thread and have a few comments.
>

> > # rpm -qa `Xfree86*` | xargs rpm -V
> > -bash: Xfree86*: command not found
> That should be 'singe quotes' (lower case ") not `tic marks`
>
> And what did you mean by
> >  ...    I might
> > have make some resolution changes yesterday before shutting down."
>
> I'd agree with Stephen, find a backup and compare them, you may have set the
> resolution out of range for you video/monitor.
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce

Something else (just did it again on a customer's computer) is to boot
with a Knoppix CD and then make a copy of the wonderful
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it creates, then use that as a starting
point...(Knoppix makes troubleshooting linux so dang easy, dunnit?)

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture
http://kma.0catch.com  :: mobile 0410.728.389
Serving Sydney, The Illawarra, South Coast and Rural NSW
  Mandrake GNU/Linux 10.0 OE/Kernel 2.6.3-7/ No Viruses here.

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." -- Woody
Allen