imap server comparisons

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Jul 23 12:01:46 UTC 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Lloyd H. Meinholz wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 07:35, Jason Dixon wrote:
>>
>> Ease of deployment, ease of removal, rpm verification, etc.  Heck,
>> it's
>> even easier than compiling from source.  Unless you're patching
>> custom,
>> I can't imagine a reason NOT to use the developer-supplied method for
>> compiling the RPM from source.
>
> I don't see configure as being difficult. You have to use it to build
> the RPM anyway, right? I install in /usr/local/courier-version, so
> removing is very easy.

Building the rpm from source is as simple as:

$ rpmbuild -ta <tarball>
$ rpm -ivh <package>

> I'm not sure what you mean by rpm verification, configure should check
> for all the required libraries anyway. Does installing courier as an
> RPM
> prevent a required library dependency from getting removed/upgraded in
> the future and breaking courier?

Read the rpm manpage and search for verification features.  Stuff like
being able to see which files in a package have been altered (after
installation).  In short, you're gaining all of the benefits of using a
managed package system while still enjoying the benefits of building
from source.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting