cannot telnet port 25 from other hosts

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Wed Jul 28 17:13:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, ssoss S wrote:

> hi..  I found that I cannot telnet my linux box (fedora core1) via port 25
> (SMTP) but the SMTP service is started.  I can telnet to localhost via port
> 25.  May I know where is the config to control and allow me to telnet
> mylinux 25 from other hosts??

Two things ya gotta do:

1) Open port 25 to the outside world on the iptables firewall.  The file
to modify is /etc/sysconfig/iptables.  You'd then restart the firewall
with "service iptables restart" (no quotes).

2) modify your sendmail config.  I don't do sendmail, I do postfix.
somebody should be able to help you there.

Ben