Rogue Process

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Jul 29 11:05:57 UTC 2004

X is the Xwindows system...the graphical desktop in which you're probably
working.

If you don't want to work in a graphical environment, edit your
/etc/inittab file, and change the initdefault line from 5 to 3, so that
the next time you reboot, your console will come up in text mode and X
won't run.  You can also, at any command prompt, while logged in as root,
type "init 3" and the system will switch to runlevel 3 and kill X,
automagically.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com wrote:

> I have been getting a Rogue process called X taking up 100% of the CPU on
> my Linux boxes i do not know what this is and whether it is important to
> the Operating system or not. Can  someone tell me what it is, whether i
> need it running, and how i stop it running automatically when my users are
> running jobs over night. My users are complaining that this process is
> slowing the jobs down that they run. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Bridgeman
> IT Systems Engineer
> Corus Automotive
> IARC Building
> University of Warwick
> Coventry
> CV47AL
> Tel: +44 (0)2476 241262

> This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
> anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
> any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
> misuse of the transmission by anyone.

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit