Cant authenticate to LDAP domain with Redhat9

Faehl, Chris cfaehl at rightnow.com
Wed Jul 7 14:32:36 UTC 2004

I'm not sure how PAM works (eg, if it can't find a specific instance in
pam.d for a given program, fall through and use system-auth), but if it
does work as parenthetically indicated, then the original problem is
that RedHat does ship /etc/pam.d/sshd. If that theory holds, removing
/etc/pam.d/sshd should make system-auth consulted. I've just verified
that this is not what occurs: if /etc/pam.d/sshd does not exist - ya
don't get in (eg, system-auth isn't consulted).

In short - yes, for every program you want to run that authenticates
against LDAP, the appropriate pam file must be modified.

--
Chris Faehl
Hosting Manager, RightNow Technologies