Cant authenticate to LDAP domain with Redhat9

Steven D. Haughton shaughto at ee.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 7 16:45:03 UTC 2004

I added the debug line to my system-auth.  It now looks like this:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so debug
use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore
service_err=ignore system_err=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so debug

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so debug use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so debug

This is the messages I get in /var/log/messages when I try logging in:

Jul  7 09:37:36 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[19078]: check pass; user unknown
Jul  7 09:37:36 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[19078]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=blochee.ee.ucr.edu
Jul  7 09:37:52 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[19078]: check pass; user unknown
Jul  7 09:38:15 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[19078]: check pass; user unknown
Jul  7 09:38:27 blochee sshd(pam_unix)[19078]: 2 more authentication
failures; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser=
rhost=blochee.ee.ucr.edu

It seems to me that no new information was outputed using the debug
command...
Am I looking at the right log file?

On the machines that work I get this for "getent passwd" and "getent
shadow":
I picked one user at random cause if I put "getent passwd" the list
would be to long.

Computers that work in ldap:
[root at kona root]# getent shadow pfu
pfu:x:::::::0
[root at kona root]# getent passwd pfu
pfu:x:15002:403:Peilin Fu:/home/eeres/pfu:/bin/bash

Computer that does not work in ldap:
[root at blochee root]# getent passwd pfu
pfu:x:15002:403:Peilin Fu:/home/eeres/pfu:/bin/bash
[root at blochee root]# getent shadow pfu
pfu:x:::::::0

They are the same so it looks like it can read the ldap info ok.

--
Steven