Display X apps on remote host problem

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jun 3 03:44:08 UTC 2004

On June 2, 2004 12:21 pm, dv wrote:
> I'm having a problem displaying X apps on a remote host.    I've done this
> plenty of times before but for some reason I can't get it today, I must be
> forgetting something.   On the remote host, I ran "xhost +" to allow
> everyone access to the X server over the network.   On the host I want to
> run the X apps from, I ran "export DISPLAY=remotehostname:0.0".   When I
> try to start an X client, I get an error about not being able to open the
> display.   Neither server has iptables running.
>

> root at remotehost:~> xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>
> root at tux root# export DISPLAY=192.168.1.61:0.0
> root at tux root# xeyes
> Error: Can't open display: 192.168.1.61:0.0

Hi,
I don't know if this will help, as I usually just tunnel apps via ssh.
X can be confusing as the application is the client and that is displayed on
the server, so I think you want to run 'xhost +' on your local box, then
export the display on the server box. ..or am I mixed up?

Also, I do recall having problems working with multiple X sessions on a single
box. One thing that caused grief was temp lock files for the display. Have a
look in the /tmp for a something like ".X0-lock".
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce