kernel 2.4.20-31.9 problem/bug?!

Pietro Bandera pietrob at lansystems.it
Thu Jun 3 06:46:57 UTC 2004

Hi all

I've recently experienced a problem with RedHat 9.0 on a Compaq DL 380 G2
Server.

The server is 1,4 P3 CPU 3 GB ram 4 GB Swap and two disk 36,4GB setted in
raid 1 mirror.

The problem i get i this:

Without any particoluar reason the load on the server became greater and
greater but all the process are in idle state as the cpu.

By various tests i found out that the problem should be on too much disk i/o
working apparently without any reason.

When i noticied the bug i was running 2.4.20-28.9 kernel so i decided to
upgrade to the new bug fixed kernel 2.4.20.31.9 but even after this upgrade
the problem still continue.

I use 6.40 hp drivers, but even if load them or not the problem still
persists.

So does any of you any idea in order to resolve it?

I got two partition /boot and / both with ext3 fileystems, and i have
checked them for errors without finding any.
I have even check the hardware without finding any other problem too

The only one thing appened about 15 days before the problem began was a disk
failure on one of the mirrored disk that was substituted.

Please let me know if you have ideas.

Thanks all

Pietro

Lan Systems Srl