USB device not claimed by any active driver

Shanthi Paladugu sruti08 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 17:46:23 UTC 2004

Hello,

  I have a machine with linux kernel 2.4.19 and when I
plug in a MultiTech USB modem, the device get
detected. I can see the messages in /var/log/messages
and also entries in the /proc/bus/usb/

However, the "acm.o" driver does not get loaded. I see
the message "USB device not claimed by any active
driver". The product and vendor id for the device are
6e0/0xf107. usbmodules --dev /proc/bus/usb/nnn/nnn
shows the output of "acm".

My question is why isn't the acm driver getting loaded
when the device is detected. However everything works
fine if I insmod acm.o manually.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shanthi.