DSL modem and routing...

Steve steve at focb.co.nz
Wed Jun 9 21:25:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Vivek Kumar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have Verizon DSL connection @ home. As the service is for home so I
> dn't get static IP. But if I keep my box ON my IP remains the same. What
> I want is to put a router and connect DSL modem and all my PCs to it and
> once someone from outside world telnet to my IP (which is give by the
> service provider) he should get login prompt from this Redhat box and
> after authentication he/she should be able to log to my box.
> I am trying to set this up but somehow its not working. I cna ping the
> IP but telnet is refused. Do these Cable/DSL modem forward the packet to
> Router or any device connected to it. ??
>
> My router knows that any thing on port 23 forward it to Linux box #1.
> How do I setup such kind of network. Is there something I am missing ??
> Any suggestions ??

Yes.

You are missing information such as the type of DSL router, subnets
involved, what your route table looks like, wether you have added NATP
(pinhole) entries to your DSL modem, wether your router is able to port
forward and even what brand of router this is.

You should also NEVER use telnet, it is bad, anyone between you and the
person logging into your box can get the password to login to your box
with a blindfold on and one arm tied behind their backs.

Use SSH instead, you wont run into issues such as devices listening on
the port you are trying to forward and people sniffing traffic and
breaking into your box.

You may also wish to investigate Dynamic DNS as your IP address WILL
change, it may take a while but eventually things will break.

Please also ensure that you have secured your systems - nothing quite like
being on the end of a DSL connection and having a spammer relay a few
million messages through your linux box and making a large portion of the
worlds Intarweb population mad at you.

--
Steve.